Patient Care Services
Veterans with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) and Related Identities
VA Takes Pride in Serving Veterans with LGBT and Related Identities
Veterans with LGBT and related identities face increased health risks and unique challenges in accessing quality healthcare. The VA strives to be a national leader in the provision of health care to Veterans with LGBT and related identities and assure that care is provided in a sensitive, safe environment at VA health facilities nationwide.
VHA’s commitment to Veterans with LGBT and related identities include:
- Promoting a welcoming health and work environment that is inclusive of Veterans and employees with LGBT and related identities.
- Providing information, guidance and education to VHA providers about LGBT health issues.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Health Program
In 2012, the Office of Patient Care Services created the LGBT Health Program (10P4Y), which provides policy recommendations, provider-education programs, and clinical services to support personalized, pro-active, patient-driven healthcare for Veterans with LGBT and related identities. For more information about the LGBT Health Program, email at VALGBTProgram@va.gov.
Current program activities include the following:
- We oversee a formal LGBT Point of Contact Program with identified LGBT Veteran Care Coordinators (LGBT VCCs) at each facility. We provide training and support to LGBT VCCs who, in turn, promote understanding of VA policies and best practices for serving Veterans with LGBT and related identities at their facilities
- Ongoing review of VHA policies assuring inclusive language relevant for Veterans with LGBT and related identities, including non-discrimination policies, hospital visitation, caregiver education and the definition of family at VHA. See our policy page for additional information. VA LGBT Policies link.
- In partnership with the Office of Academic Affairs and Mental Health Services, we offer Postdoctoral Psychology Fellowship Training Positions with an Emphasis on Interprofessional Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) Health Care for Veterans at several facilities. See our LGBT training page for additional information. LGBT Veteran Training link.
- We provide ongoing educational programs for VHA staff about best practices in healthcare for Veterans with LGBT and related identities. See our LGBT Training page for additional information. LGBT Veteran Training link.
- We are working to create a more welcoming environment at VHA facilities for Veterans with LGBT and related identities. See our Outreach page for additional information. VA LGBT Outreach link.
- We disseminate resources to the field to help make all facilities more welcoming to Veterans with LGBT and related identities. For a list of facilities with LGBT Program websites, see our VA Facilities - LGBT Programs websites page for additional information. VA Facilities - LGBT Programs Websites link.
Get the latest news on LGBT-focused programs, health studies, policies & research in your inbox.
Subscribe to Receive Email Updates
- Office of Health Equity - http://www.va.gov/healthequity/
- Office of Diversity and Inclusion Special Emphasis Program for LGBT VA Employees - http://www.diversity.va.gov/programs/lgbt.aspx
- Office of Academic Affiliations - http://www.va.gov/oaa/
* By clicking on these links, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked Web site.